Hokkaido Marathon 2023
・Japan Marathon Championship Series
Organizing Committee for Hokkaido Marathon 2023
Hokkaido Amateur Athletic Association, The Hokkaido Shimbun Press, Hokkaido Cultural Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (UHB TV), FM Hokkaido Broadcasting Co., Ltd. (AIR-G’), Hokkaido Government, City of Sapporo, Hokkaido Sport Association, Sapporo Sport Association, Hokkaido Association of City Mayors, Hokkaido Association of Towns and Villages, Federation of Hokkaido Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Sapporo Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Hokkaido Tourism Organization, Sapporo Tourist Association, Hokkaido Medical Association,Hokkaido Association for Acute Medicine, Hokkaido Nursing Association, Hokkaido Physical Therapy Association, NPO Runners Support Hokkaido
Japan Association of Athletics Federations, Japan Blind Marathon Association
Hokkaido Amateur Athletic Association, Sapporo Amateur Athletic Association
August 27, 2023 (Sun.); starting time: 08:30
Full marathon (42.195 km)
2023 World Athletics and Japan Association of Athletics Federation (JAAF) rules, World Para Athletics Championships (WPA) rules, and Hokkaido Marathon rules will apply.Doping tests will be conducted with the WA rules.
Men, Women, Visually Impaired Men, Visually Impaired Women
Domestic 16,500 yen, Overseas22,000 yen
※Charity 200yen included.
Men and women who are at least 19 years old on the event day (excluding high school students) and capable of completing the full marathon within 6 hours
Sapporo Odori Nishi 4-chome (Ekimae dori) – Susukino – Nakajima Park – Hiragishi dori – Sosei Tunnel – Soseigawa dori – Miyanomori-Kita 24-jo dori – Shinkawa dori (halfway point) – Hokkaido University – Former Hokkaido Government Office Building (Red Brick Office) – Ekimae dori – Odori Nishi 4-chome (Ekimae dori)
- This course is certified by the JAAF, AIMS and World Athletics.
● This division into blocks will be made in the order listed below regardless of whether runners are registered with the Japan Association of Athletics Federations or ordinary runners.
- Invited or elite runners, athletes chosen for special training by the Japan Blind Marathon Association
- Ordinary runners who have an actual record of 3h 30 min. 00 sec. or faster
- Ordinary runners in the order of anticipated time from the fastest
Request for general runners with the record of within 3 hours, 30 minutes, and 00 seconds.
[Please submit a copy of your “Record Certificate (Gross Time)” of either domestic or international full marathon event held within the valid period. (Not necessary to submit this if you submit your record of Hokkaido Marathon 2019 or 2022.).
- The valid period of records is between January 1, 2019 and March 31, 2023.
- Entrants living outside of Japan are not required to submit a Record Certificate.
◆ How to submit the completion certificate
Go to “My Page” on the RUNNET website, then click “Upload Completion Certificate” and upload an image of your completion certificate (Photos are acceptable).
23:59 on April 26, 2023 (Wed.)
- Runners who have not submitted completion certificates by the deadline will be divided into blocks according to their personal anticipated time.
|Cut-off point||Closing time||Time limit for No. 1 wave||Time limit for No. 2 wave|
|1.2 km||9:05||35 min||20 min|
|5 km||09:35||1 h 05 min||50 min|
|10 km||10:15||1 h 45 min||1 h 30 min|
|15 km||10:55||2 h 25 min||2 h 10 min|
|20 km||11:35||3 h 05 min||2 h 50 min|
|25 km||12:15||3 h 45 min||3 h 30 min|
|29.8 km||12:55||4 h 25 min||4 h 10 min|
|35 km||13:35||5 h 05 min||4 h 50 min|
|40 km||14:20||5 h 50 min||5 h 35 min|
(North Gate of the Former Hokkaido Government Office Building)
|14:35||6 h 05 min||5 h 50 min|
|Finish||14:45||6 h 15 min||6 h 00 min|
Course Facilities (including start/finish points)
|Maeda Forest Park||●||●||●||●|
- The schedule is subject to change.
- Special drinks will be prepared for invited and corporate team runners and athletes chosen for special training by the Japan Blind Marathon Association and provided at a total of 8 points every 5 km.
◆ Entries for the travel plan with the right to run are accepted from April 2(Sun.) at 18:00 (on a first-come, first-served basis).
◆ General entries will be accepted from April 2 (Sun.) at 18:00 (on a first-come, first-served basis).
*Please download the official Hokkaido Marathon app. (This site is only available in Japanese.)
*Runners from overseas cannot apply through the official Hokkaido Marathon app.
*Participants living outside of Japan except for China, Taiwan, and Korea must apply through the specific site written in English on the top of this page, otherwise, you will receive all information in Japanese.
*Those who from China, Taiwan, and South Korea, are required to register through the agencies written on the HP.
1) Foreign passport holders(China, Taiwan and Korea) should register through the authorized sales agencies in each country.
2) Foreign passport holders(China, Taiwan and Korea) cannot exchange Bips at the expo and cannot formally run the event. (Entry tickets are not refundable and each person has to take full responsibility)
August 25 (Fri.) 13:00 to 20:00
August 26 (Sat.) 10:00 to 20:00
Odori Park Nishi 8-chome
All runners will be given an “On” original T-shirt.
- Also provided to escort runners accompanying those with disabilities (Visually Impaired Men and Women).
|Sizes||A Shirt length||B Shirt width|
- Completion medal
- finisher’s towel
- The completion certificate will not be handed out on the day of the event. It can be download from the official website after the race.
- Also provided to escort runners accompanying those with disabilities (Visually Impaired Men and Women)
The following winners will be commended at the awards ceremony after the races.
Men’s and Women’s races: the first- to eighth-placed runners
Visually Impaired Men’s and Women’s races: the first- to third-placed runners registered with the WPA
A certificate of commendation will be mailed to the first- to third-placed runners by age group.
- First- to third-placed runners aged 24 years or younger (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 25 to 29 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 30 to 34 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 35 to 39 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 40 to 44 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 45 to 49 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 50 to 54 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 55 to 59 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 60 to 64 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 65 to 69 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 70 to 74 years old (Men’s and Women’s races)
- First- to third-placed runners aged 75 years or older (Men’s and Women’s races)
- Visually Impaired Men’s race: the first- to third-placed runners not registered with the WPA
- Visually Impaired Women’s race: the first- to third-placed runners not registered with the WPA
- The names and times of the following runners will be published in the Hokkaido Shimbun newspaper the day after the races: the top 100 runners in the Men’s and Women’s races, the top 50 runners in each age-group category of the Men’s and Women’s races; and the top 10 runners in the Visually Impaired Men’s and Women’s races.
- The organizer shall not take any responsibility other than the provision of first aid in the event of illness or injury, except due to the organizer’s intentional or gross negligence.
- Cancellation for personal reasons shall not be accepted once the application has been submitted.
If the event is canceled due to an earthquake, storm, flood damage, incident, accident, epidemic/pandemic (including COVID-19), extreme heat (equivalent to a heat index (WBGT) of 31 or higher*1), or any other reason beyond the organizer’s control, refund percentage terms are as follows:
Three months or longer before the event (until May 27) = 50%
One up to two months before the event (May 28 to July 27) = 20%
- No refunds if the event is canceled within a month before the event (July 28 to August 27).
- If the organizer determines that some participants may interfere with the continuation of the event, the organizer may advise the participants to cancel the event.
- If there is a false declaration such as that concerning age or gender, entry shall be cancelled.
- Entry by a person other than the applicant (substitute runner) will not be tolerated. If such a case is discovered, entry shall be cancelled.
- Applicants shall agree that personal information, such as their name, age, gender, place of residence (names of countries, prefectures and other administrative entities; names of cities, towns and villages), past records and portraits may be used in the marathon’s promotional materials, such as videos, photographs, articles and race data published via such media as newspapers, TV programs (including commercials), magazines, the Internet and pamphlets. They shall also agree that the publishing and portrait rights to such information belong to the organizer, and shall not execute their portrait rights.
- Please be sure to follow the race precautions separately designated by the organizer.
To ensure the smooth operation of this event, personal information is used to provide entry information, inform runners of race records and related data and inform entrants of the next Hokkaido Marathon, as well as for to announce records, provide first-aid treatment and cooperate with medical institutions. It may be provided to third parties such as health centers, medical institutions, and the Japan Association of Athletics Federations for the purpose of preventing infectious diseases, and may be used by the organizer or disclosed to the event’s supporters and collaborators to provide information on services, products and the like offered by the organizer, supporters and collaborators. It may also be used by the organizer or trustees to confirm entry information.
- If the organizer found the participant’s bad behavior that interferes the preparation and operation of the event, your entry may be canceled. In such cases, your entry fee will not be refunded.
- If the organizer found some cheatings such as taking shortcuts, participant will be disqualified in the following years.
- After the confirmations of your entry and payment of your entry fee, it is considered that participants agree to the terms above, and the new coronavirus countermeasures.
- The decision will be made by checking the predicted WBGT values posted on the Ministry of the Environment’s website. Depending on the value, the competition may be canceled before it starts, new check points may be set, or the closing time may be moved on.